Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Our History

High Acres Fruit Farm had its beginnings in 1942 when Glenn and Catherine Meachum purchased 80 acres of land in Hartford Township in southwestern Van Buren County to raise peaches and cherries.  Since then the Meachum family has expanded and diversified the farm.
High Acres Fruit Farm now farms 2500 acres of several different fruits, vegetables, and row crops including apples, plums, cherries, nectarines, strawberries, grapes, peppers, tomatoes, corn, soybeans, and wheat. 
Along with operating the farm, we own and operate Meachum Farms Trucking and Paw Paw River Produce -- a cold storage and warehousing facility.  In 2005, the farm launched the Spencer brand tomato label.  The Spencer brand is now recognized throughout the Midwest and East coast as a premium product.
In 2006, the family farming operation was awarded the Michigan Farm Bureau Farm Stewardship Award, and in 2007 High Acres Fruit Farm was presented the Master Farmer Award from the Michigan Vegetable Council. 
We are proud to be an American farm family that works to put wholesome food on the tables of our nation and world.

1 comment:

  1. Since 1995 My Family has worked for High Acres Fruit Farm. My father who has dedicated about 18 years of his life working for the Meachum Family cannot say nothing but great things about them. As for myself, I could never Thank them enough for being such a welcoming family. Now that I look back at most of my favorite childhood memories, I can say that all of them are from when I lived at High Acres Fruit Farm. Between really busy, tiring, hot, humid and tough days working out in the fields. The Meachum Family always found a way to put a smile on our face. Wish I could go back and spend at least one more summer working with my family. and of course take a bite of a freshly picked strawberry from their farm. ;)

    ReplyDelete